Following the Job


I work for a fantastic company. How do I know? It is full of wonderful people. When I sat down and talked with the people I report to about considering a career opportunity within the company they all said the same thing. We would hate to see you go, but we don’t want to hold you back. They were supportive and very informative. It is difficult to leave such an incredible team, even when you are moving within the same company.

My move is 1,100 miles from where I was working. There are many moving pieces that include property to sell, new driver’s license, new insurance company, finding a place to live, and many other items that can seem overwhelming. A big consideration for me was attempting to leave as little as possible hanging when I changed positions. I know that there was much left unfinished that I wish I could have completed and I have no doubt the team handled it expertly in my absence.

I have had a profound impact upon my new state and city. When I went to interview, it snowed for the first time in eight years. The second day I was in the job, the city was shutdown because of an ice storm. All of this, however, was nothing compared to the trip itself.

Knowing I had Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a holiday, I decided to drive halfway on the preceding Saturday to an old Navy buddy’s house to visit and spend the night. Then, leave on Sunday to arrive in the new city at my rented condo by 8 p.m. local time. Then, I would have Monday to look at apartments.

As I have often said, no plan survives contact with the enemy. The list of things I needed to do prior to leaving Saturday took much longer than they should have taken. I got a late start. This, of course, lead to a late arrival at the house of my good friend. Normally this would be no issue. However, since the state has very little in the way of snow removal, the surface streets were solid ice by the time I got to his house. This required some creative driving strategies.

The next day I left later than planned. No excuse, it just happened that way. As I climbed into the car that looked as if it was packed by a college student ready to move home, I realized I was in for another long day. After finishing one unabridged audio book and getting well into a second, I crossed into the great state of Texas. As the sun fell in the west and dusk approached I realized something rather profound. I was on what had to be the road where they filmed “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.”

Having seen no chainsaws at all, I finally arrived at my destination. The gate code I was given did not work. After a few phone calls it was revealed that the code had been changed. Finally, I was unloaded and ready to sleep around 11 p.m. I lay down on the bed ever so grateful for the sleep that was about to take me. Then, I rolled over and realized that the bed would squeal every time I moved for the next two weeks I was booked to stay there. The next few days were followed by meeting more people than I can remember, the previously mentioned ice storm that shut down the city, and the certain knowledge in my weary bones that I had done the right thing. Things would not be perfect, there were and are challenges that I know about and that are and will be unexpected. But, I have done the right thing for me, my family and the company that I grow to love more each day.

I say follow the job.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here